Locomotion No.1 was the first steam locomotive to be commissioned by the Stockton & Darlington Railway and came into official operation on 27th September 1825 – the opening of the S&DR. It was designed by George Stephenson and made in the Stephenson Works in Forth Street Newcastle with the assistance of Timothy Hackworth. Hackworth also went on to make a number of improvements to it once it became operational including designing the new plug wheel, less prone to breaking than the wheels supplied by Stephenson. The plug wheels can be seen on the badge.
There are no reviews yet.