In 1856, the hamlet of Saltburn consisted of the Ship Inn and a row of houses, occupied by farmers and fishermen. Saltburn-by-the-Sea was founded by the Stockton & Darlington Railway at the terminus of its easternmost branch in 1861. Henry Pease was behind much of the later S&DR extensions including this one. According to his wife Mary, in 1858, while walking along the coast path towards Old Saltburn to visit his brother Joseph in Marke, Henry Pease saw a prophetic vision of a town arising on the cliff and the quiet, unfrequented and sheltered glen turned into a lovely garden. As the line had alreday received Royal Assent by then, his vision was perhaps not quite so prophetic.
Read more about Saltburn-by-the-Sea and Henry Pease here.
There are no reviews yet.