An attractive worktop oak cheese board (or use as a sharing platter, bread board or chopping board) engraved with the Stockton & Darlington Railway Company Seal on the bottom left corner of the board and the text Locomotion No.1 written along the long edges in two different fonts. This is an experimental design produced as a sample, but the quality is still very high. A responsibly sourced leather strap with brass fixings allows the board to be hung up when not in use. Every board is individually sanded, oiled and checked by hand before being dispatched. The board arrives in an attractive reusable cotton bag.
The board is made in a little workshop in the New Forest in England and the timber used is Forest Stewardship Council approved (FSC). It is oiled with walnut oil, but all allergens are removed in a filtering process before being applied.
The Stockton & Darlington Railway Company seal was adopted on the 25th May 1821. This was before the decision to use locomotives was made; horsepower was the initial mode of transport considered adequate to haul the waggons. Consequently, the original seal showed a horse drawing four waggons. The hills in the background were an exaggerated view of Brusselton Incline with its engine house on top. The motto around the edge was Periculum Privatum Utilitas Publica (at private risk for public service) and was suggested by the Rev. Daniel Mitford Peacock of Great Stainton. Although the decision was made later to use locomotive power, thanks to the expertise of George Stephenson, the company never changed the image from horsepower to locomotive power. Further, when the company seal was approved, there was no thought of passenger travel on the railway. This too changed so that the second Act of Parliament granted in 1823, authorised the use of locomotives and passenger travel. So, we have updated the image and have replaced the horse with Locomotion No.1 and we have added the passenger coach Experiment – both used on the opening day on the 27th September 1825.